Position: Food Security Specialist
Hours: 15 hours per week, 20 if additional funding is secured
Terms: Temporary position with Lopez Family Resource Center, mid-May to October 2017.
$20 per hour.
Job Description: The Food Security Specialist has three primary jobs responsibilities:
- Design and implement SNAP/EBT in the Farmer’s Market:
- Coordinate with San Juan County Public Health Department
- Enlist volunteer(s) to staff booth at Farmer’s Market every other week
- Enlist one or two farmers to pilot participation at their farm stands.
- Prepare required accounting and reporting to support the program
- Assess the effectiveness of the program at the end of the season
2. Help plan and implement Phase I of a gleaning program:
- Identify appropriate communication/software tools to support a gleaning program
- Contact island orchard owners for permission
- Develop an adequate volunteer base to harvest and process produce
- Plan and execute an end of season apple cider pressing and processing event
- Support the Executive Director in seeking additional grant funding for a full time gleaning position
3. Coordinate and support other food security efforts:
- Coordinate the Compassionate Communities – Food Security Subcommittee
- Document the food needs on Lopez
- Explore ways to extend the availability of produce, fruit and nut crops through more of the year
Education & Experience Required:
- 1-3 years experience working with farms, food security programs, gleaning programs, and/or other food security related work. (preferred)
- 1-3 years experience working in social services (preferred)
- 1-2 years experience grant writing (preferred)
-Able to work effectively with a team of community members, farms, and other organizations.
-Able to also work independently with staff, clients, partners, and community members.
-Able to effectively communicate and build/maintain relationships
-Are a good listener with obvious compassion for others,
-Able to research best practices, and identify solutions that would work on Lopez
-Knowledge of local food systems
-Ability to prioritize and organize activities
-Knowledge & commitment to principles of confidentiality
-Commitment to support client empowerment, growth & self-determination
-Willing to work under pressure with multiple priorities demanding time and attention.
-Strong computer skills including knowledge of MS Office, email, internet and socials media
Submit a resume and cover letter explaining your experience with these skills to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on Wednesday, May 10, 2017.